The Horse Hospital is the only existing unspoilt example of a two-floor, purpose-built stable remaining for public access in London.
Situated in the heart of historic Bloomsbury, at the corner of Herbrand Street and Colonnade – a working mews immediately behind the famous Hotel Russell, midway between London’s West End and Spitalfields arts district and built originally in 1797 by James Burton, the building may have been redeveloped sometime after 1860.
The shell is constructed with London Stocks and red brick detail, whilst the interior features a mock cobbled herringbone pattern re-enforced concrete floor. Access to the both floors is by concrete moulded ramps. The upper floor ramp retains hardwood slats preventing the horses from slipping. Each floor has five cast iron pillars and several original iron tethering rings.